If you’re developing an “Acceptable Use of IT Resources” training course (or even developing the policy itself), this blog post from TechRepublic is a very useful reference. It discusses 10 of the laws that apply to computer users (in the USA), and that might result in problems if your end-users are unaware of them.
The laws/regulations dicussed in the article include:
- Digital Millennium Copyright (DMCA) Act
- No Electronic Theft (NET) Act
- Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)
- Court rulings regarding border searches
- State and federal laws regarding access to networks
- “Tools of a crime” laws
- Cyberstalking and Cyberbullying laws
- Internet gambling laws
- Child pornography laws
- Pro IP Act
Fascinating reading, with a lot of gray areas in some cases.